- Security and defence partnerships in the region have developed most actively over the past decade under the Japan-led idea of “Free and Open Indo Pacific” (FOIP) among the “like-minded partners.”
- Various initiatives mainly focus on maritime security, emerging domains such as cyber and space, and defence industry cooperation.
- Other partnerships outside of FOIP are mainly bilateral agreements on defence equipment procurement or modernization of defence sector, like in the case of the Philippines or Vietnam.
- There is a significant potential for Lithuania to establish partnerships in the cyber security domain and fight with disinformation.
- Bilateral cooperation channels with Japan or through NATO with Japan may be the most direct way to the region.
Indo-Pacific Cooperation with European NATO Countries: Security Partnership Initiatives and Perspectives